Wednesday, December 17, 2014

6



The next page of the notebook.

Went to see Yamka. She invited me into a car before I could ask questions, and said I had to see something. I’m in the back seat now. Yamka’s in the passenger seat while another man drives. White guy with a crew cut and a leather jacket. Neither of them responds when I try talking to them. Little nerve wracking. I texted my editor telling him what I’m doing, in case something happens to me.


Driving for over an hour now. We’ve left the city and are going west. Still can’t get a word out of anyone.

Taking a rest break. The sun’s about down now; have we really been driving the whole day? Starting to wonder if this interview is worth it. Maybe I should have just written something about the rumors of an affair and Ed’s theory that Celine ran off to avoid legal trouble. Sounds like the kind of story Pham would like.

We’ve finally stopped. We’re at a campsite, far from any cities. Several others are here, building a bonfire. Yamka still won’t talk to me. I’ll wait to see what happens.

Once the sun set, they lit the bonfire. They’re all dancing around it and chanting now. A rain dance? Looks a little like one I saw online, but without any of the sacred imagery. Wish I knew enough to be able to tell for sure. I wonder if

No comments:

Post a Comment